Stories

W’s and H’s of MQ’s Scribbles | FAQs

October 27, 2017

W's and H's about MQ's Scribbles

Answering FAQs about why is this subdomain site about MQ’s Scribbles is up and running. Know the W’s and H’s about this site.

W’s and H’s of MQ’s Scribbles

It has been a while since this sub-blog was born. Originally, this was supposed to be a place where I would be dumping all my art-related posts. From photos to files and eventually, posts that share actual stories and experiences that I have been encountering.

What to expect in this little space on the internet?

Once you have visited, you will get to read my personal stories and experiences when it comes to calligraphy and the art. This is where I get to share the struggles that I have experienced while pursuing the arts that I have chosen.

Mostly, you will be seeing abouts about how a left-handed or leftie or lefty like me ended up loving calligraphy and making it one of her deepest passions in life. Not only that but also, witness the challenges or struggles that lefty people experience when it comes to writing.

There are so many struggles and one of the most common is the stain/s we get from the smudges!

Plus, I have linked some of my videos to show you how my practice have progressed and my writing developed through the years.

Sooner or later, I hope I will be able to create more videos. Preferably tutorials on how I scribble and also tackle on various essential videos on cleaning tools and even blending.

Why create MQ’s Scribbles?

Before, it was just a mere hashtag I put on Instagram whenever I would be posting some of my scribbles. Now, it’s a sub-blog where I could tell more about the experience and not just simply share the materials. My main blog is about my personal and lifestyle. Since I may be an OC person, I made it a point to separate this from that blog. Some may think that art is not in sync with lifestyle so I just made this sub blog.

It was fun creating this since I’m not an expert an expert with the technology. Honestly, it became more of an experiment and a wonderful learning experience also for someone like me. Gladly, Google has been a friendly tool that has helped me a lot.

When exactly was this born?

Sometime after I moved hosts, around May-June 2017. If I have moved to Squarespace, then this sub-blog might not be born at all.

So, kudos to my current host for being so accommodating and helpful with the move!

How do I seem to manage these blogs?

I have been using various tools like Asana to help me manage the blogs. I put everything there, including which blog posts should I write about up to creating the banners and editing the images. Generally, it’s a project management tool for small business. Yet for me, it serves as an online planner that helps me finish my blog posts and avoid backlogs.

To be honest, I even use it for school!

Currently I have:

Not only that but I choose to work on my blogs on the weekend after both work and school. It has become a breather for me. Sort of a stress reliever, just freeing my mind from everything.

Who is the person behind this?

None other than Maria! Me, of course! I handle everything when it comes to my blog. It’s quite different if you have worked hard and smart for your blogs. Even if there are some technical knowledge that I don’t have, it becomes a learning curve for me that I enjoy.

But, if the trouble is more than what I know, I always ask for help.

I live by this saying,

No man is an island.

What are the tools I use for creating content here?

Nothing beats your talent, of course. Plus the stories I have heard and shared with the people I meet through the craft. Observations gathered from lurking in various online communities and lastly, from the experience gathered by hosting and creating events for enthusiasts like me.

For the gadgets:

• Cameras (iPhone 4 and 6S, Nikon D90 for photos and some of the videos)
  • Laptop (MBP 13″ mid-2012 for editing, blogging)
  • Papers
  • Pens (Marvy Uchida, Tombow, Artline, ZIG, Pilot, so much more)
  • Smooth and sturdy surface where I can write on
  • Scanner (for digitizing works)

In short, it takes a village to be able to digitize scribbles and a whole lot of effort & energy to finish everything in time.

Final Thoughts

I keep this as my immortal progress keeper and diary. So if ever we’ll be having kids, they could see that they should be aiming for progress and not perfection. Before, my artsy friends would even tell me not to throw away all the scratch papers or journals I used for practice. Believe me, I have two boxes already full of paper and it’s hard to throw stuff that showcases your progress.

Seeing your strokes progress and improve is one of the best feelings ever! At least, you know deep inside that you are improving. Not only as an artist but as a person.

Trust me, calligraphy and the arts has taught me to become patient and persevere! Sam could testify that before, I’m not a very patient person. I would even ask the waiters and waitresses about our food even if there was a time given. The same goes with inquiring about stuff for sale.

Lastly, even if you don’t have a blog or journal to keep your progress, you will always have your eyes and walls as witnesses. Your eyes can immortalize anything they see. The walls can be your blank canvas whenever you stick or pin your artworks.

Always remember this,

Progress not perfection.

Don’t forget to pin this.
W's and H's of MQ's Scribbles

Pin me!

So, what’s your stand about tracking your progress? ✨

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply Claire Algarme November 4, 2017 at 3:26 pm

I like scribbling, doodling and sketching. In fact, I like to do a lot of things. But that’s where I encounter the obstacle – I like so many things and I tend to hop from one interest to another. Lately, I’ve been thinking of which of my hobbies I should focus on (apart from blogging, of course) and create a site or social media account dedicated to that specific skill or hobby. I’m still in the process of sifting through all my interests and hopefully, I’d be able to find it in the pile and spot which one I can carry on for long term.

• Reply Milton Coyne November 4, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I love how you handle your blog and how you managed to sort them based on their content.. mine is a mess up lols… like you I want to immortalize my journey and experiences through my blog (although it still depends on how long my web hosting provider will keep my blog alive even though I no longer around haha). I always have those thoughts about sharing my blog posts with my kids and let them read the stories.. that’s so cute no? I love doing artworks before.. i used to make my own comics too when I was in highschool and during my first year in college.. but then I stop when I got so busy with work and now as much as I want to get back with that hobby.. i cannot find the right motivation yet to unleash my inner creativity again haha but I’m trying 🙂

• Reply Indrani November 5, 2017 at 12:45 am

It is inspiring how you handle the different themes in your blog. Good that your current host is accommodating about your ventures.
    I have read somewhere doodling helps de-stress is that true for you? I love this art but I am not organised enough to pursue it. High time I pursued this art.

• Reply Irma November 5, 2017 at 6:51 am

Well, it seems you are quite organized and productive since you can handle all of those blogs. So many different themes require a lot of time and attention and I really admire you for that. I personally can concentrate only on one thing at the time. Good luck with your work I will continue to follow you.

• Reply Johna November 5, 2017 at 11:33 am

Woaaaah, you have a lot of blogs! I also have one and I definitely agree with you when it’s hard work. Especially the technical side, I learnt from scratch and I’m quite proud of myself hehe. I guess it’s all about passion right? If there’s a will, there’s a way! 😀

• Reply Kylie November 5, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Wow! Do you manage 4 blogs? I struggle to produce content just for the one! Absolutely incredible! I would love to see a post on your work-flow on how to produce content for so many different spaces and time management tips! Perhaps I could learn a few things?

I also have admiration that you’re able to create something so beautiful being left-handed! I can’t even create something half as beautiful being with a right-handed advantage! 😉

Keep up the amazing work!

• Reply Maria November 7, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Hi Kylie! Yes, and it might grow more! Haha! I actually have something about Time Management on my study blog.

• Reply Berlin |Momi Berlin November 5, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Looking forward to seeing more videos and tutorials, please. And if calligraphy and the arts has taught you patience and perseverance, then I am expecting to see the chances in me.as well. Yesterday, i clean my things and made a clear plan.of what.I would want to achieve. That includes giving time to practicing calligraphy. 🙂

• Reply Me-An Clemente November 6, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Oh my… I didn’t know you manage four blogs. However, since you are passionate about writing and doing calligraphy, I can understand that though it may be laborious especially when digitizing your artworks it’s quite fulfilling. If ever I try out calligraphy, I may have messy hands after as I’m a left-handed as well. Anyway, you’ve mentioned ASANA as a tool that helps you manage your blogs. Is it free? Love how you ended your post with progression, not perfection. It’s applicable to all crafts.

• Reply Maria November 7, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Yes! Asana is free and has it’s iOS app (not sure about Android though). But if you want to access more features, there’s a premium version.

• Reply Swayam Tiwari November 7, 2017 at 4:55 pm

It requires a lot of patience and diligence in this day and age to be a calligrapher. Life, these days, is so rushing. I had learnt from someone that calligraphy, in return also teaches you to be observant, empathetic and intuitive. Is it true?

• Reply Maria November 7, 2017 at 10:16 pm

To be honest, yes! Practicing the craft really gives a lot of lessons particularly being observant and patient.

• Reply Angelie November 8, 2017 at 4:06 am

Maybe a good entry that you should write about next is time management tips! I would love to learn from you. lol. I only have a blog + full-time gig and I barely have time to maintain my blog. How do you manage all those blogs and a shop? Teach me!!!