Pop-ups

The Cuaderno Pop-up Shop

May 12, 2017

Cuaderno Pop-up

Happy to share that I’m part of Maarteng Letra’s pop-up at Cuaderno Manila! Here’s more about how it came to be. Also, some of the products I made!

The Cuaderno Pop-up Shop

Before, it was just a dream for our group, Maarteng Letra.From listing down materials, places where to buy them, and to the products themselves. We have been drafting our product list for quite some time now. So when I got the chance to talk to the owners of Cuaderno, I knew that this will go somewhere.

You can learn more about Cuaderno here.

So, here’s the story behind the pop-up.

Meeting the Cuaderno People

The chance of meeting the people behind this amazing cafΓ© was really inspiring. There was a surge of electricity when I got to converse with the owner. Little as you know, it is owned by a chef.

Isn’t it amazing? Like relationship goals!

When I was getting to know Chef Marvin, he was sharing that he still works at a hotel. That is his day job and handling Cuaderno Manila is his passion project with his girlfriend. Shoutout to Ms. Alexa!

I can’t help imagine what if I had my own place like this. Then, it housed glorious artworks from my artistic friends. That’s the dream and we’ll get there soon.

We were conversing about their food and also on the idea of having Maarteng Letra pop-up at their cafΓ©. Getting into details about the pop-up was giving me both good vibes and fear vibes. It scared me somehow but the happiness shone through.

BTS for the Pop-up

No man is an island.

That is a quote that has been stuck in my mind for quite some time now. Truly, no one cannot exist without somebody else. As for this pop-up, I have invited people to collaborate with us or even partner with us. So, I asked my co-volunteers if in case they would want to collaborate. Luckily, I received favorable answers!

We got to start talking about what items do we include or sell. In most cases, we’ll feel tense about things like this. From thinking about who to collaborate with and to which kind of products to produce, but it was a happy feeling. Though honestly, I was a bit scared because people might not like what we have there. But who knows?

Gjen, of Gjen Scribbles, has acquired essential tools necessary for this line of work. She has obtained a printer that has a scanner. This is really a vital tool for us. We need a scanner to make our traditional outputs into digital ones. Then of course, we have to print it.

I’ll talk more about digitizing in another post.

The ingress was really not that heavy since Gjen was there. We were dancing and humming to Cuaderno’s playlist as it was really a great playlist! It was really amusing to see our creations falling into place.

Cuaderno Pop-up

BTS with Gjen Scribbles

The Pop-up

Right now, our items are at Cuaderno Fil-Mex CafΓ© near Hotel Benilde. It is searchable on Google, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

We have a tiny space in there where you’ll be mesmerized by the works of fellow artists. From digital art to traditional, you’ll get to see it there.

I call out to you to continuously love and support local artists.

Cuaderno Pop-up

The booth.

For more details about Cuaderno, catch them on their social accounts:

Hope to see you there!

11 Comments

• Reply Mommy Queenelizabeth May 12, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Wow! This is lovely. The kind of work i’d always like to see and appreciate in person. This is inspiring too for other creative people who does the same works as you team. I wish pop up booths like this will become available too here in the province. Its a thing that is not very common to most people here. πŸ™‚

• Reply Berlin | Momi Berlin May 12, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Not something common for my age but I love the idea. Another way to display the beautiful work of talented artists and showcase your group’s commitment and love for the arts. This also pushes me to really practice on my calligraphy and frame a few work for the coming of our baby.

• Reply Veeyah May 13, 2017 at 10:35 am

Aw! Cool pop-up! Must’ve been real fun to setup and plan, yeah? Hahaha. Hope I can prepare for something like this in the future! True, support local artists as much as possible, though we DO need to get in touch with our “foreign” side from time to time, hehe.

• Reply Amila Wickramarachchi May 13, 2017 at 11:52 am

I really love this idea.With such inspiring words,the place would be an interesting and interactive place for the visitors.Glad to see the final results of all of your team work.Beautiful work and you all are very talented!

• Reply mumwrites (@vixquips) May 13, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Wow, congratulations on your new venture! Are those postcards? I would sure love to score a couple of copies! It is also my dream to set up something like this and showcase some of my work, but that’s really in the very far future as I have just started learning calligraphy and am very too far from being an expert. I sure hope you can have more pop up shops around the metro, and who knows, probably here in Bulacan, too!

• Reply jayresa03 May 13, 2017 at 3:48 pm

The concept is cool for artworks too. I think I will be copying this in my school’s bulletin board or in the room itself. Too bad though because I don’t have pretty penmanship and lettering like yours.

• Reply Maaya Arianna Legaspi May 13, 2017 at 10:37 pm

What a milestone for your group! I’m not familiar with the place but if I see it personally, I would probably hoard all of it! I’ve been wanting to learn calligraphy ever since and it seems like it will be only just be a dream for a couple of months because of my busy sched. hehe. Nonetheless, keep being inspired and doing those stuff. I’m sure people will support local artists more if they see more of these artworks.

• Reply Johna May 14, 2017 at 9:29 am

Interesting! I’ve always found calligraphy so fascinating, they actually had some calligrapher’s come into our work for a few days writing greetings for mothers day. It was relaxing just watching the pen glide across the paper. Hehe, wish I could do it! πŸ˜›

• Reply Martine de Luna May 14, 2017 at 9:46 am

Love this. My brother and sister in law have a similar space in Cubao Expo and it has a place for art, coffee, entertainment and workshops. I think collaborative spaces for makers are the “in” thing now.

• Reply Irma May 14, 2017 at 3:09 pm

The idea is really great and quite interesting. I wish more people would decide to express their creativity in this way. I truly hope you will succeed with this and that more creative people will apply. The place is beautifully decorated and cozy, so I suppose it is very nice to work there.

• Reply chardybaldyosa May 15, 2017 at 11:07 am

Looks amazing maria! Congratulations on the pop-up! This is something that a lot of artists dream of and you’re very blessed and skilled to have been able to pull it off! Wishing for more blessings and opportunities like these for you! You’re an amazing artist and I wish I could visit the pop-up! πŸ™‚